Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Method of Elenchos


I too believe that wisdom is limited to an awareness of my own ignorance.

A woman fell in front of me in the street last night while walking her dog. In rushing to help her up I was certain the Gods of good deeds would bless me with the words to say, "let me help you, are you allright?" in Spanish. Instead, all that came to me was "quinentos veintidos million cuatro cien cincuenta y tres mil cien doce" (which I think means 522,453,112) and "son las seis menos diez pasadas" (it´s just past 10 to 6 pm.)

I´m convinced my Spanish classes are not helpful at all.

I take class in a room called Socrates. And wasn´t he condemned for impiety and corruption of youth thus causing him to choose suicide over exhile clamining that running away would bring dishonor upon himself and Athens and thus death was the better option? Super.

I often zone out in class and focus in on one of the many drawings of Socrates and his work. Soon I´m answering the questions in my head with other questions and enjoying my use of his own dialectic method of inquiry and imagining his studies with Diotima. I too would like to study love.

Considering the fact that the last thing I think of before bed and the first thing I think of when I rise is not from Spain at all but in fact it´s something (or someone) I´ve left behind in the states, I suppose that love IS the main part of my studies.

It certainly isn´t Spanish.

I am fully aware of my own ignorance. I´d call it blissful but I have not yet truly achieved that which I truly desire. I suppose Socrates was right all along in finding the answer within the asking.

What is it that I want?

No comments:

Post a Comment