Monday, January 2, 2006

Trenchant Observations

I’ve been thinking a lot about Eurydice lately.

And no, it’s not because Aunt Gums and Uncle Fatty were kind enough to tell me on my last trip home that I was destined to go straight to hell.

I’ve been thinking about Eurydice, in fact, because I’ve decided that she may have been one of "history’s" most powerful women.

Akin to the likes of many women before her, she held the world in her hands for one brief moment (I’m convinced that she knew what she was doing that brief moment before turning stone) and she did what any woman in her position could/should/would do. She WAS power.

Delilah took back the power with one swift slice of the scissor,

Joan was truly of her Arc,

Anne Hathaway (of Shakespearean not modern fame) supposedly took more than her "second best bed",

Oprah lost the weight and gained a book club.


Women of power excite me.

**Let us pause to appreciate that this state of mind is the same as that found in my "Pre Existence" so before we jump to conclusions as to my current mood or phase, let us simply assume I’m playing difficult to read. I play it well.**

I return to women of power.

I myself have been accused of knowing my role and more than owning it from time to time. Believe me I can deliver a soliloquy with the greatest of ease, I can produce one solitary tear on cue and follow it with streams, I can reduce men and managers alike to puddles of their former selves with nothing more than a winsome smile, I can most assuredly work any given room.

BUT...given the chance to bring about a monumental change, would I crumble?

I say no.

In fact, I truly believe that if I found comfort in my very own underworld and suddenly felt my wrists being pulled into the brightest of undesirable lights I too would search out that perfect moment when Sisyphus sat silently on his perch and watched as the man we’ll call "O" took matters into his own hands. And I would, in my sweetly serene subtle way simply say ,

"Orpeheus, your poem’s a masterpiece. I’d love to hear it again."

Pause... Turn... Stone. I’d remember his stoic face as he handed over the reins. As he handed over the Reign.

Ah gentle power, welcome home.

Eurydice, I’ve decided, claimed hegemony over her husband AND her hell.

Wouldn’t it be nice?

No comments:

Post a Comment